ATM and Debit Card Security Tips
Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) provide a convenient way to access your account, however, they are also a target for fraudsters and other criminals. To protect your identify and ensure your personal safety, we recommend you exercise caution when using an ATM or when using your ATM or Debit Card.
Please report lost or stolen cards immediately by calling 800-472-3272.
- Protect your ATM or debit card as if it were cash.
- Safeguard your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- Avoid using numbers that are easily identifiable (phone number, birthdate.)
- Memorize your PIN. Do not keep your PIN in your wallet or write it on your card.
- Do not give your PIN to anyone.
- Take Precautions when using ATMs
- Observe your surroundings; if it does not feel secure, find an alternative location. Make sure the machine is well lit at night.
- Minimize your time at the machine by being prepared in advance with your card, PIN and deposit (if applicable)
- Give people in front of you space to conduct their business.
- Make sure others do not observe you when entering your PIN. You can shield the keypad with your hand or body.
- Be wary of ATM skimming devices – these are electronic devices attached to the machine that can capture your card information and PIN. If an ATM card reader appears unusual or bulky compared to others, check with the bank or use another machine.
- Take Precautions at Retail Locations
- Review your receipt before leaving the store or merchant location.
- Compare receipts to your transaction history before discarding them.
- Report suspicious or unusual charges to the bank immediately.