COVID-19 Cyber Scam Awareness
In an effort to keep our clients protected, we are sharing this important announcement from the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA).
The CISA warns individuals to remain vigilant for scams related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Cyber actors may send emails with malicious attachments or links to fraudulent websites to trick victims into revealing sensitive information or donating to fraudulent charities or causes. CISA encourages individuals to remain vigilant and take the following precautions:
-Avoid clicking on links in unsolicited emails and be wary of email attachments.
- Use trusted sources—such as legitimate, government websites—for up-to-date, fact-based information about COVID-19.
- Do not reveal personal or financial information in email, and do not respond to email solicitations for this information.
- Verify a charity’s authenticity before making donations.
- Review CISA Insights on Risk Management for COVID-19 for more information.
- Don’t respond to texts, emails, or phone calls about checks from the government. The details are still being worked out. Anyone who tells you they can get you the money now is a scammer.
If you suspect you’ve been a victim of fraud, you should contact Boston Private immediately at [email protected].